Please note: The deadline for application to The Seed Farm's Apprenticeship program has been extended. We are still accepting applications for our 2014 training season!
Interested in becoming a Seed Farm apprentice? Click on the links below to download an application and other relevant materials:
Number of Apprentices Selected: 6
Time Commitment: The training program entails 20 hours/week from March through November. Apprentices who desire more time on the farm may apply for our "full time option," which consists of an additional 20 hours of paid farm crew time per week.
Fees: $8,400 per year. Financial assistance is available (see scholarship application above).
- Apprentices participate in all aspects of running the Seed Farm market garden. Duties include: greenhouse work, soil preparation, site maintenance (mowing and weed-eating), planting, cultivating, harvesting, and marketing.
- All apprentices are expected to attend weekly farm walks and field demonstrations.
- Each apprentice will be responsible for managing one crop in the market garden.
- Attend courses offered by Penn State Cooperative Extension (Exploring the Small Farm Dream and Introduction to Organic Vegetable Production).
- One year of farming experience on a diversified vegetable farm.
- The intention to start or manage a sustainable farm business.
- All apprentices are expected to have a strong work ethic, commitment to detail, ability to take direction and also work independently when necessary.
- Dedication to cooperative working and sustainable agriculture.
- The ability to work well with staff and other apprentices.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions, especially heat.
For more information about the program, visit our apprenticeship page or contact Lindsey Parks by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 610-391-9583 Ext 16.
"This institution is an equal opportunity provider."